These elegant cupcakes are the perfect mix of class and whimsey. The cake has a subtle, sophisticated flavor, while the frosting is tangy and bright.
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter (softened)
- 1½ cup castor sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup champagne or sparkling wine
- the zest of 4 oranges (plus extra for garnish)
- orange buttercream frosting
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- scant ¼ teaspoon orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 350o.
2. Line two cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine the butter and sugar, and beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and zest together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and champagne in alternate batches to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Mix in the orange juice.
- In a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour into cupcake pans and bake for 20 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. (We usually get about 17 cupcakes out of this, but it really depends on how big each cupcake is and how much the egg whites deflate when they get folded in.)
- In a mixer, mix together the butter and the powdered sugar until it forms a frosting-like consistency.
- Mix in the cream.
- Mix in the orange extract.
Sorry this post was so late! We made this on time, but we forgot to actually make the post until today...oops.